The Academy offers the Associate of Arts in Visual Arts collaboratively with the College of International Education (CIE), HKBU. Upon completion of the two-year studies, students are eligible to apply for the Bachelor of Arts (Hons) in Visual Arts through Non-JUPAS application and be admitted to the third year of the 4-year programme directly.
This area of Concentration Studies aims to provide students with visual arts training needed for academic advancement and careers in arts and creative industries.
- Encouraging individual development of concepts and skills in visual arts through a variety of courses offered in studio practice as well as art appreciation.
- Auxiliary art activities, such as lectures by established artists or curated art exhibitions, fostering a broader understanding of the field.
- Well-equipped studios and supporting facilities for professional visual arts training.
Discipline Specific Courses (Offered by AVA, 24 units)
- Introduction to Visual Arts I
- Introduction to Visual Arts II
- Introduction to Western Art
- Introduction to Chinese Art
- Visual Thinking and Observation
- Graphic Design and Visual Narratives
- Looking Through the Lens
- Materials and Processes
Generic Content (Offered by CIE, 38 Units)
University Core (13 units)
- English Academic Writing I & II
- Written and Spoken Modern Chinese
- Healthy Lifestyle
- The Art of Persuasion
General Education Foundational Courses (9 units)
select one course from each category
- History and Civilization
- Values and the Meaning of Life
- Quantitative Reasoning
General Education Interdisciplinary Thematic Courses (6 units)
- select two courses from any one or two themes
- Science, Technology and Society
- Sustainable Communities
- Culture, Creativity and Innovation
Required Courses (4 units)
- English for Professional Communication / Literary Appreciation / Reading Contemporary Worlds
(select one course from the above three courses)
- Planning for Academic and Career Development
Free Electives (6 units)
- select two General Education courses
Professional Training and Workshop (Offered by AVA)
- Visual journal workshop
- Guest seminar by professional artist and designer
- Experiential learning in art museums
- Field trips in graduation shows at different institutions
- Portfolio Workshop
- Annual exhibition to showcase student artwork
Graduates can apply for admission to senior year entry to visual arts related Bachelor degree programmes offered by UGC-funded institutions in Hong Kong, or other top-up degree programmes in other institutions local or overseas. Among these programmes, the UGC-funded Bachelor of Arts (Hons) in Visual Arts programme offered by AVA admits about 59* students with an Associate Degree or equivalent qualifications to its senior year every year.
* Subject to finalization of the University
In addition to the general admission requirements by CIE, applicants are required to submit an artwork portfolio. Please visit theor call 3411 3266 for admission information and details.
Dr. Laura Ng
Mr. Lau Hok Shing
Mr. Kurt Tong
Mr. Justin Larkin
Mr. Andrew Tang
Mr. Law Man Lok
Mr. Brandon Chan
Tel: (852) 3411 3266
Fax: (852) 3411 3360