The Academy offers the Associate of Arts in Visual Arts collaboratively with the College of International Education (CIE), HKBU. Upon completion of the two-year studies, students are eligible to apply for the Bachelor of Arts (Hons) in Visual Arts through Non-JUPAS application and be admitted to the third year of the 4-year programme directly.
This area of Concentration Studies aims to provide students with visual arts training needed for academic advancement and careers in arts and creative industries.
- The programme encourages individual development of concepts and skills in visual arts through a variety of courses offered in studio practice as well as art appreciation.
- The programme allows students to participate in auxiliary art activities, such as lectures by established artists or curated art exhibitions, fostering a broader understanding of the field.
- The College offers well-equipped studios and supporting facilities for professional visual arts training.
GE Courses-Core Requirements (Offered by CIE, 26 units)
- Essentials of Information Management Technology
- Ethical Challenges in Hong Kong / Issues of Life and Death (Values and Meaning of Life)
- Mathematics in Everyday Life / Understanding Statistical Data (Numeracy)
- Physical Education
- Popular Culture in Contemporary China / The Making of Hong Kong (1842-1997) (History and Civilization)
- Public Speaking
- Thought and Writing I & II
- Written and Spoken Modern Chinese / Elementary Chinese
GE Courses-Distribution Requirements (Offered by CIE, 12 units)
- Communication / Visual Arts
- Science / Chinese Medicine
- Social Sciences
Discipline Specific Courses(Offered by AVA, 24 units)
- Introduction to Visual Arts I
- Introduction to Visual Arts II
- Introduction to Western Art
- Introduction to Chinese Art
- Visual Thinking and Observation
- Graphic Design and Visual Narratives
- Looking Through the Lens
- Materials and Processes
Professional Training and Workshop (Offered by AVA)
- Visual journal workshop
- Guest seminar by professional artist and designer
- Experiential learning in art museums
- Field trips in graduation shows at different institutions
- Portfolio Workshop
- Annual exhibition to showcase student artwork
Graduates can apply for admission to senior year entry to visual arts related Bachelor degree programmes offered by UGC-funded institutions in Hong Kong, or other top-up degree programmes in other institutions local or overseas. Among these programmes, the UGC-funded Bachelor of Arts (Hons) in Visual Arts programme of HKBU admits about 50 students with an Associate Degree or equivalent qualifications to its senior year every year.
In addition to the general admission requirements by CIE, applicants need to submit a artwork portfolio. Please visit theor call 3411 3266 for admission information and details.
Dr. NG Yuk Lan
Mr. TSE Chun Man
Mr. LAU Hok Shing
Mr. TONG King Fung Kurt
Mr. Justin LARKIN
Tel: (852) 3411 3266
Fax: (852) 3411 3360