Master of Arts in Visual ArtsHow to Apply

Admission Requirements

Applicants should possess a bachelor’s degree from a recognized university or comparable institution, or a qualification deemed to be equivalent.

Applicants should have relevant experience in respective studio practice. A portfolio of past works (5-10 images of original artworks in digital format or photographs) has to be submitted with the application.

Applicants have to declare their intended concentration (Studio & Media Arts or Craft & Design) as well as to submit a study proposal for the SMA/CD Studio Project in the admission exercise.

Interview will be arranged for applicants to assess their background knowledge, experience, commitment as well as their capability and suitability for the programme.

Applicants are expected to be able to communicate in English at an advanced level, meeting one or more of the following qualifications:
(a) A bachelor’s degree or equivalent qualification earned from an
English-medium institution; or
(b) A band score of 6.5 or above in IELTS; or
(c) TOEFL scores of 550 (paper-based) or 79 (internet-based); or
(d) CET-6 (College English Test band 6): 450.


Application Method

On-line application:

More details 


Admission Documents

At the time of application, the following documents should be submitted to Graduate School for assessment:
– For local applicants: HKID card or passport; *For non-local students: other identity document of home country
– Degree certificate(s)/graduation diploma(s) if graduated
– One copy of the official academic transcript;
– Two reference letters
– Scores from standardized test: TOFEL, IELTS, CET- 6
– A portfolio of past works (5-10 images of original artworks in digital format or photographs)
– A study proposal for the Studio & Media Arts or Craft & Design Project. The study proposal includes:
1. Tentative title of the project
2. Description of the project idea
3. Choice of media/art form(s)
4. Intended project outcomes
5. Work schedule
6. Bibliography and references

Click here for study proposal form

For other supporting documents

Information For Non-local Students

Student Visa
1. Full-time Non-local Students
The Hong Kong Immigration Department requires all full-time non-local students (from overseas, Macao, Taiwan or Mainland China) to obtain a student visa in order to study in Hong Kong.

2. Part-time Non-local Students
Part-time non-local students should possess appropriate and valid visa to prove their eligibility to stay and study in Hong Kong.

More details about student visa, please see at:



Students are eligible to apply for on-campus student residences and BU-managed off-campus housing. Limited Rooms will be assigned by university on a first-come, first-served basis according to the admission criteria. Enquiries or applications for accommodation should be directed to the Student Accommodation Section of the Office of Student Affairs with contact details as below:

Office of Student Affairs: Student Accommodation Section

Telephone: (852) 3411-2037 or (852)3411-2036
Fax No. : (852)2794-2011
Email Address:

Apart from the accommodations provided by the University, students are advised to know more about other off-campus housing alternatives in Hong Kong.

Application Deadline:

MA in Visual Arts (Full-time): 28 February 2018
MA in Visual Arts (Part-time): 28 February 2018