Dr Ho Siu-kee, Associate Professor of AVA, was selected as Artist of the Year (Visual Arts) at the Hong Kong Arts Development Awards 2015. The award presentation ceremony was held on 21 April 2016, with the honours presented to acknowledge arts practitioners who have achieved excellence in their respective art forms.

In response to receiving the award, Dr Ho expressed his gratitude to his parents and family who provided him with tremendous support and tolerance. He said, “Over the last 30 years since the beginning of my university studies, I received huge support and encouragement from my family members at different stages of my life. I would also like to thank my mentor Mr Cheung Yee who made me learn that art is a life-long commitment. In the early years when I started to study art which is yet a topic with much attention from society, many of the senior artists I knew showed their persistence on art with passion. Hong Kong is considered Asia’s art city nowadays, with many artworks sold at record-breaking transaction prices. All these have reminded me ‘not to forget my initial dream’”.

The judging panel of the Award appreciated Dr Ho for his participation in a variety of international arts events and his efforts to explore artistic possibilities with dedication, and to carve out new styles and directions in the history of Hong Kong contemporary art. The panels also commented on Dr Ho’s remarkable performance this year, with an outstanding solo exhibition entitled Body Geometry which demonstrates his sophisticated and multi-faceted achievement and depth in art. In addition, Dr Ho was praised for his contribution to arts education, particularly in the cultivation of the new generation of artists.

Congratulation to Dr. Ho!